Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Darkness






















They came from all over the city, all twelve to fifteen of them. Feeling their way down the crowded streets of red clay. Every step was taken with extreme care. Every turn made with the memory of times past.

They came looking for something. They came looking for something that would satisfy more than the emotions of the mind or the strength of the body. They came looking for a savior.

And came they did. When we arrived they sat quietly eating some rice mixed with a sauce of some sort. I made my rounds, gently touching them on the hand or the shoulder to let them know that I was near.

One man stood and told their story, he began:

“We consider it a great honor to be with you today. You can see us, but we can not see you. We are productive people, we work with our hands and are not on the streets begging for money. This church has been very good to us. This Pastor has a great vision for this city. We are very thankful for this church and pray that their endeavors would be successful.”

My body pressed back against the chair as he spoke. How can a blind man speak of vision when he cannot see? What is it in his heart that I lack? He felt his way down the streets of Bobo that day to tell me a story from his heart. Was it the courage to press past the limitations of living in darkness and walking in light? Maybe it was overcoming the churning in his stomach when he laid down to sleep. It was not clear, but he held a gift that I have not yet received.

He stood and he prayed for me. Yes, for me, the young missionary with no handicaps, a picture of health, no cares in the world. This sixty year old blind man prayed for me.

They came from all over the city, all twelve to fifteen of them. Feeling their way down the crowded streets of red clay. Every step was taken with extreme care. Every turn made with the memory of times past.

I have nothing more to say but God help me see not with my eyes, but with my heart.

No comments: