Saturday, August 7, 2010

The Clouds are Heavy Today

The clouds are heavy over our street today. You can see just a small parcel of blue trying to press it’s way through the expanse of gray. No squeals of laughter from the children.


You see, yesterday when the sun had set a cry arose from the depths of the neighborhood. We stood on the terrace and wondered if it was combined prayer of a nearby church. It was not prayer, but the cries of a family who had just learned that the father had just been killed. A muslim man of 35 or so. Typical of West Africa he had at least two wives and many children. Many times the children, mostly babies, would play in tattered clothing in front of our home. As I would leave our home they would sing a song that I taught them. I would sing,” J’ai une bon bon pour vous.” and they would reply, “Avez-vous des bon bon pour moi?” me-(I have a piece of candy for you) them-(Do you have some candy for me?)


This day they did not ask for candy. I sat quietly on the ground in front of the house.

They came and sat beside me. No words were spoken, they would not look up while silent tears fell onto the hard earth.


The clouds are heavy over our street today as well as my heart. Another son left this earth not reconciled to the Father.


We carried over some food as a token of our sympathy for the family. Still, I do not know if it pleased my Father. The bread of life should have been taken over many weeks ago long before the motorcycle left the road. I missed the mark.


Paul said, 2 CORINTHIANS 5:

18And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;

19To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

20Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.


Tomorrow the clouds will not be so heavy and the sun will break through again, but today is a day of evaluation. Weighing out what is really important, what really matters.


“Oh, God, be a Father to the fatherless today I pray”



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice fill someone in on and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you as your information.

Anonymous said...

Very touching, very sobering... Love you and your tender heart, Gin. Praying for you and Ken and for that precious little family to come to Jesus and recieve The Comforter... Kathy Brott