Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Another Day In Togo

Friends,

The day started early today. What would take just a few minutes in the states takes a few days here. The only thing quicker here is a smile and an embrace.

I had taken a moto to a cross road to meet a friend. Naturally, I was 20 minutes early. Everyone here is 20 minutes late.

To redeem the time I walked to the corner where a woman was selling fruit and I purchased an orange. She peeled the skin for me and cut a small hole in the top. I began to squeeze the juice from it. We do things much different here. I must have worked on that orange for 30 minutes making sure not to waste any of it.

Hundreds of Africans drove and walked past watching this Yovo, (white man), make a mess of something so simple. Juice had poured down my chin and on to my shirt.

An older man in rags walked by asking for something in Eva, the local language. I smiled. He laughed since we could not communicate. It would have been great to have been able to find out his story. Everyone has one you know. Most stories are filled with pain, but lathered in Joy.

Every wild moto ride;
Every smell;
Every taste;
Every embrace;
Lets me know that I am still alive.

Africa has taken my heart and I pray that it will not give it back.

In great African Love,

Ken

No comments: