Thursday, February 28, 2008

Saying Goodbye to Jonathon


"If Love Could be Measured in Tears we Would have Filled an Ocean"

Jonathon boarded a plan Tuesday night bound for the States. Being a private person I never thought that I would post such a writing, but everyone keeps asking how we really are.
Our hearts just found a new hole. Saying goodbye to our youngest really hit hard.

Gin and I stood on the veranda Tuesday and cried silent tears. We were going to say goodbye to Jon in about 4 hours. I did not want him to see me cry, but the emotions would not stop spilling from my eyes. I asked God, "Will it always hurt this bad?" You know telling our children goodbye.

He did not respond, so I am sure that His answer was most likely "yes".

Jonathon visited the orphanage later in the afternoon. The boys, all under 6, hung on him. It was as if they knew that they would never see him again. Jon had a hard time telling them goodbye.

During the last 5 months Jonathon has found a love that is not easy to find, the love of the Africans. It is a love that runs deep in their culture. They value relationships as much as life itself. Many friends came by to say goodbye, their expression of love to Jon overwhelmed us.

As the taxi took off from the front of our house, Jules, one of Jonathon's good friends hugged him and said, "I will see you again in paradise."

Friendships and relationships must not be taken lightly. Cherish every person that God sends into your life.

Please pray for Jonathon as he begins his new life. He will be moving to Omaha Nebraska and serving in Bethel Christian Church. God is doing some great things in his life!

So, "How are we doing today you ask?" Well, please ask us again tomorrow.

Ken
Ok, now a week has past. Jon made it home fine and is VERY happy. We are over the shock and the sun is back out. Thank you for your prayers!

5 comments:

Frances said...

Ahhhh...Jonathan looks so happy. He's all grown up. Great times are ahead for him and I pray that your hearts will be healed soon of him not being there with you and that the Lord will fill the hole you spoke of.
Here's a great big hug for you both.
I love you,
God Bless, Frances

Anonymous said...

Letting go is something all parents must face. It is hard but God will give you the strength you need. Jon looks so happy and I know that is must have been a hard decision for him to leave you. It's a big scary world out there and the first step is always the hardest. My prayers are with all of you and I love you more than you will ever know.

God bless you, Mom

Anonymous said...

thanks dad..i love you!!

jon

tami said...

Thinking and praying for you guys daily. Kansas City isn't the same without you. However; Africa is so blessed to have the love of the Cantrells. Miss you guys,

Love and prayers,
The Vanderfords

Sis. B. said...

Happy Birthday to my dear friend Ginny!!!!! I hope it was the greatest Birthday ever!!!!!! I have not forgotten you and I miss and love you so much!!!!!!!

Rhonda