Thursday, November 29, 2007

What A Gift!

Bounjour à toute mes amis et ma femille,

We miss you all very much. We are now beginning to experience some of the discomforts of Togo. The most inconvient is not having electricity. Even now I hold my breathe hoping that the power does not go out as I type this message, for one does not no when it will be turned off. It started about 3 weeks ago, being just 4 or 5 hours at a time. It is increasing daily the time it off. We are now up to 10 hours at a time. A few days ago, Carmen our landlord, bought us a small generator that will allow us to at least have a fan on alternating with the refrigerator. I thank God for this. I was really concerned about our gorceries going bad with it being out for so long at a time. Nobody but the government knows how long this will last. They say that last year it went on for almost six months. SO..... We shall see. But lets talk about some more positive things..LOL

This past Sunday, we had our first opportunity for Ken to preach at a village church. I dont even know how to express to you the how amazing the people. The worship that went forth would put us to shame. For people that dont have anything, have everything. As I followed the leading of Sis. Stephen in worship we single filed in line (the rest of the women following)out of the thached roof building and danced outside around the entire property. The worship went on for over an hour for the people would not stop praising God, and with such intensity. The custest of all is to watch the children dance and worship. Precious!

We are excited to report that 3 recieved the Holy Ghost and 7 wanted to be baptized, one being our taxi driver that we use on a regular bases. (He also recieved the H.G. that day) So off we go to our first adventure of going to the river. We hiked about a half a mile from the property of an elderly man that helped begin the work in this community. We found ourselves taking our shoes off to tregde through some swamp like area to get to the part of the pond that would be deep enough for the baptism. You should of seen Jonathons face when I told him to take off his shoes and to keep walking. HIlARIOUS! Of course Jen and I are all about it and so caught up in the Africa moment I wasnt thinking about anything Yucky. There was a concrete slab that we were able to climb up on once we arrived to get out of the water. It was then when I looked around and really checked out the situation, watching my husband in the water waiste deep I thought about snakes, and leaches. About that time, I saw aonther young african man reach down and pull off of his leg a leech and nonchalantly tossed it aside. What can you do! We were there and there was no turning back. Ken baptized all 7 and then we had to return. So in the water we went interceding all the way. All was good and no leeches attached. LOL

When we returned to the home of this villager, we were resting a bit on our little stools and being cordial to sit and look at each other. It was then I noticed two women chasing this one particular Rooster. It was the biggest one there. After they caught it and bound up the feet, they handed it to the man. He walked over to Ken, bowed and presented Ken this fine rooster as a gift. We were stund. They have nothing and yet give so much. So we gracously accepted the gift and gave it to our driver to put in the taxi to take home. And then in turn, when we got home, we blessed the pastor that had gone with us from Lome to take it home. Im just not ready to be plucking feathers out of a chicken yet.....LOL

The adventures go on and on and I wish each one of you could experience what God is so gracously allowing my family to be apart of. I must be getting off here for now. Just know that we concider ourselves very blessed to be a part of this work here in Togo and cant wait to get to Burkina.
God Bless to you all
Gin

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am just soooo proud of you guys!

Anonymous said...

You are experiencing things that most of us would not be brave enough to try. I am so proud to call you, daughter and "son". Keep up God's wonderful work. The blessings just keep on rolling in. I love you all.

Mom

KarenD said...

I weep every time I read your reports! To have the very intimate moments during your first years of your knowledge of Truth that we have shared, and to see where God has brought you and what he is doing through you all is so amazing and emotional for me! I anxiously await every report. We know that God will do great things through you all because of your faith and willingness to serve!! I am so proud to know you! We love you very much.